[Dixielandjazz] Alvin

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 14:45:46 PDT 2003

Alvin Alcorn, 90, N.O. jazz trumpeter

Thursday July 17, 2003

>From staff and wire reports

Alvin Alcorn, a traditional jazz trumpeter who played with New Orleans
musical greats from A.J. Piron to Kid Ory and George Lewis during a career that
spanned most of the 20th century, died July 10 at Memorial Medical Center. He was
90.

Mr. Alcorn's trio, also including a guitar and string bass, strolled among
the customers at Commander's Palace for many years and is credited with starting
the tradition of the New Orleans jazz brunch.

"With the soft music he played, he could do that, because it was not
disturbing to the diners," his daughter Andrea Naundorf said.

"He played a sweet trumpet," said Dick Allen, a jazz historian who knew Mr.
Alcorn since 1949. "But he also played lead. You don't play lead without that
power."

Mr. Alcorn explained his success this way: "I always try to reach the public
when I'm playing. I try to make the people feel happy."

Alvin E. Alcorn Sr. was born in New Orleans on Sept. 7, 1912, and lived here
most of his life.

He began making music at an early age. His older brother Oliver, who played
clarinet and saxophone, used to rehearse with friends around the house, and
trumpeter George McCullum gave young Alvin lessons.

"I started gigging around the city," Mr. Alcorn recalled years later. "I
played with Armand Piron and with the Henry Allen Sr. and the Excelsior brass
bands, passing for (being older). I went in the musicians' union when I was 15
years old. That put me in a category where I could work with some of the finer
musicians."

Mr. Alcorn was active in the union for many years, serving as a vice
president of the segregated union for black musicians and later on the executive board
of the integrated union.

His first job on the road was with Clarence Desdune's Joyland Revelers,
joining the band in Omaha, Neb., for a summer on McCullum's recommendation.

Returning to New Orleans, he began working with several groups, including
A.J. Piron, and spent a year playing at a dance hall with Captain John Handy's
band.

In 1931, Mr. Alcorn married Lulsbia Joseph, whom he had met while attending
Thomy Lafon Elementary School. They had seven children.

In 1932, Mr. Alcorn went to San Antonio to join the Don Albert Band, a large
swing band that traveled around the country and made several recordings.
Within a short time, Albert turned over the first trumpet's chair to Mr. Alcorn,
who had become known for the beauty of his tone and for never missing or
cracking a note -- a reputation that stayed with him, jazz historians Clive Wilson
and Paige Van Vorst said.

Returning to New Orleans in 1937, Mr. Alcorn played the summer season on the
steamer President with Piron, then joined the Sidney Desvigne Orchestra, with
which he stayed for several years. His colleagues there included well-known
musicians such as Louis Cottrell, Louis Barbarin, Waldren "Frog" Joseph and
Louis Nelson.

In 1951, Mr. Alcorn began playing at the Paddock Lounge on Bourbon Street
with Papa Celestin's band, an engagement that led to his collaboration with
trombonist Kid Ory.

"We went to the Beverly Cavern on the West Coast for a month, replacing Ory,"
he recalled. "Toward the end of our stay, Kid Ory came into the club and
asked me to join his band right away. He'd asked me back during the war, but I
couldn't go at that time."

Mr. Alcorn spent four years with Ory, taking part in many recording sessions
and a European tour and appearing in the film "The Benny Goodman Story."

Back in New Orleans once again, Mr. Alcorn was in demand for the rest of his
life, working with Albert "Papa" French at Dixieland Hall, George Lewis at
Preservation Hall and Cottrell at Heritage and Economy halls and Crazy Shirley's.

He also went on several more overseas tours and recorded with his trio, Lewis
and other bands before retiring about 1990.

Mr. Alcorn's wife died in November at 88. Survivors include four daughters,
L. Alva Willis of Los Angeles, Luticha A. Perkins of River Ridge, Andrea A.
Naundorf and Alcornette A. August; a sister, Elnora Knott; 16 grandchildren; and
18 great-grandchildren.

A funeral will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at Peck United Methodist Church,
3631 Washington Ave., with many jazz musicians and the Society Brass Band
participating. Visitation will begin at 9 a.m. Burial will be in Providence
Memorial Park.

Alvin Alcorn