[Dixielandjazz] The Song for Me

Brian Harvey brian.harvey5 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 17 12:11:11 PDT 2003

I thought that fellow list-mates would like to hear of the excellent
updating service being offered by historian-researcher Brian Wood for the CD
version of his wonderful book 'The Song For Me' - a directory of New Orleans
musicians and 'others of that ilk'.
I acquired the book(s) version from Brian whilst we were both in New Orleans
some years ago and later when back in England acquired the CD version. I
have loaded that onto my computer so that whenever I am researching aspects
of the music in order to write about them I can look items up with great
facility. It makes research life really easy. The fast search facility is
really fast and enables me to find entries under any name within seconds and
often reveals hitherto unknown (to me!) facts.
Recently, some time having passed since the CD arrived, I asked Brian
whether it was possible to have an update. He suggested I send the CD to him
and within days of me doing that days a new version arrived - the only cost
being the postage - a bargain in these days of high prices and general
overcharging.
The current edition has around 485,777 words, whereas in April 1999 the word
count was only 338,773. At the beginning of May this year, Brian tells me,
the count was just over 482,000. You can see that this masterwork grows
almost daily. Brian comments that his annual visit to the Crescent City
means adding a relative flood of new material.
I have no personal involvement in this book (CD) project except to publicise
it in order that Brian will, by seeing additional sales (at cost price),
continue working on it. It's a labour of love for him in his retirement and
has proved for many serious enthusiasts to be the most valuable publication
on the subject since the Sam Charters work 'Jazz New Orleans 1885-1963'
published in 1958/1963.
The cost of the printed book is £25 plus £5 postage. The CD-ROM costs a mere
£10 post free if bought on its own, but £5 if purchased with the book(s)
(there are two volumes). Brian can be contacted at this e-mail address
TBW504 at aol.com or by post at 73 Salisbury Road, Walmer, Kent CT14 7QL.
With our help Brian Wood will be encouraged to continue this invaluable
research project for many years to come.
Brian Harvey, St. Albans, England