[Dixielandjazz] Re: 'Mouldy Figs' term

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 17 18:07:02 PDT 2003

Dear Dan,,
Your research and that of Ron and Phil, confirms what I have about this matter.
Leonard Feather in his book 'The Jazz Years - earwitness to an era' (Quartet
Books 1986) devotes a whole chapter to 'Goffin, Esquire and the Moldy Figs' and
quotes at length from the articles mentioned in this current DJML thread,
including the Bilbo Brown McCarthyism one.
Feather does indeed admit in this chapter that his comments at that time were
"mean-spirited" and "clumsily written".
This later softening of his attitude still does not endear me to the man or his
jazz writings.
I am sure Jim Beebe will agree with me.
However, Feather (in the book) credits the origin of the 'Moldy Fig' term to a
letter to Esquire from Sam Platt (USN).
Dan, your reference suggesting that Platt was replying to an earlier letter from
'Moldy Fig' in France is new and intriguing.
I hope you will be able to check out the original Esquire sources at UT's PCL
library.
When some of us were young jazz turks growing up in Melbourne, Australia during
the mid/late 40s we proudly proclaimed ourselves as 'mouldy fygges'.
As a matter of interest, Chubby Jackson and His Jacksonville Seven recorded
"Dixieland Stomp" for Victor on 12 Dec 1946 (at an Esquire All-American Award
Winners record session) with Charlie Shavers, t; JJ Johnson, tb; Coleman
Hawkins, ts; Harry Carney, bssx; Teddy Wilson, p; John Collins, g; Chubby
Jackson, sb; Shadow Wilson, d. Snotty McSiegel is credited as the composer.
It was not issued at the time and only surfaced in the 1960s(?) on a Camden LP
(called of all things 'Dixieland and New Orleans Jazz') as "Dixieland Stomp" and
on an RCA LP 'Swing. Vol 1' as "Moldy Fig Stomp". It was also issued on a 1972
French RCA LP  featuring the Metronome All Stars and the Esquire All Stars using
both titles. All in my collection.
The tune (based on the verse of "Basin Street Blues") was meant as a derogatory
send up at the time and was not then (or now) very good.
I am playing it at the moment.
I have the other 4 sides from this Esquire All-American Award Winners record
date which also included Buck Clayton.
Nice Hawkins on "Indian Summer", Wilson on "Blow Me Down" and Clayton and
Collins on "Buckin' The Blues".
Feather and a 'B Moore' take composer credit for this last one and a fast tune
"Indian Winter".
They are all OK. I suppose.
But then, what would I know?
I am still a moldy fig.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I also have another Feather effort, "From Dixieland To Be-Bop (or Condon
Meets Gillespie)", recorded for Victor on 22 April 1947 by Lucky Thompson and
His Lucky Seven.
It, and the session mates, don't do much for me either, notwithstanding the
superb presence of Benny Carter, as; on the date.