[Dixielandjazz] Band Info, Drexel Univ.Student

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 03:23:10 PDT 2003

Like it or not folks:

This is the way it is done if you want to promote OKOM and continue to reach
out for new audiences.  Or for that matter any other kind of music.

If many of you had done this over the last forty years you would not have so
few gigs today and this great art form would not be suffering the current
feelings of demise.

Some of you don't like Steve for his constant in your face marketing and
reach beyond the call of duty to communicate with younger inquiring minds seeking
real music and an alternative to the current music of today.

Wake up and understand that they are looking for it but so many of you are
still hiding your light under bushel.

Any of you who have had any semblance of success and enjoyment from this
music need to get off your asses and go take it to the next group of kids 5 to 60
who have not been exposed to it.

I guarantee you that every time you reach out and touch someone with it
someone will reach out and touch you with a gig, that's how it works.  A couple of
you have joked with me about my taking my six year old grandson out to hear
music and he got so excited that he wanted to meet the band and told them his
papa was gonna give him a drum lesson next Saturday and he would come back and
join their band.

 That is what it is all about folks, instill it in them when they are young
and they will pursue it and maybe not make some of the mistakes many of us made
and return OKOM to it's once glorious and prestigious position in music.  We
owe it to them, and if we don't do it then we have no right to sit around and
bitch about the lack of OKOM.

So if you think Steve Barbone is an arrogant SOB with his constant preaching
about promoting and marketing, just be thankful I don't scream the same thing
in your ear every damned day of the week, because if this music is to survive
and reap the benefits of a resurgence and popularity, this is the way it is
gong to happen folks.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing Steve's Band in person, but it
does not matter he is doing what all OKOM bands should be doing and if you are
not, shame on you and you shall indeed reap what you sew.