[Dixielandjazz] Band Info, Drexel Univ.Student

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 17 01:14:31 PDT 2003

Below is the continuing saga of Mike, the Drexel University student who
is studying "The History Of Jazz" (Drexel is in Philadelphia PA USA)

He brought 10 classmates plus his Mom to our concert at The Perkins Arts
Center in Moorestown NJ tonight. We made some new fans. Is it worth it?
You're damn right it is.

He is a charming young man, very serious about his studies and partially
disabled. His Mom has to drive him around. But he will succeed in
whatever he does because of the fire in his belly, and the brain in his
head.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Dear Mr. Barbone,

Hi, my names is Michael and I am student at Drexel University. I am
currently taking a course in music about the history of Jazz.

For this course I am required to write a report about a current jazz
band. I have been doing  a lot of research about current jazz artists
and almost everything and everyone has lead me to the Barbone Street
Jazz Band.

I recently read the an article in the South Jersey Magazine about
upcoming performance at the Perkins Center in Moorestown, NJ. I look
forward to seeing your performance. In addition to seeing your
performance, some information that would be of a great help to me for
this report about the Barbone Street Jazz Band would include:

a) Overall, the type of jazz music performed (for example: classical,
Dixieland ....)
b) Some of the bands jazz influences
c) Information about the pieces performed (song titles and styles) If
you could send a song list that the band generally performs. Also, any
type of promotional handouts, flyers or performance programs that may be
given out.

I look forward to seeing the band in person - Please send a current copy
of the bands performance schedule. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

Hello Michael:
I would be pleased to send you the information you need. Give me a day
of two and I will forward it. Good luck in your course work.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Dear Mr. Barbone

Thank you very much for your speedy response to my email.

If you could please send me as much information as you can by mail. I
need the original of any type of promotional handouts, flyers or
performance programs.

Michael (address deleted for privacy)

Hi Michael:

Mailing a Press Kit with brochures, flyers etc., tomorrow, 7/15.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Mr. Barbone,

Thanks for everything. You have been a great help.

I look forward to seeing the band at the Perkins Center.

Michael

Mike

You are welcome. The info was mailed this morning, 7/15.

At Perkins, please come up and introduce yourself and we'll chat about
any
questions you might have and I will give you a CD. Also, if the Perkins
gig
cancels because of rain tomorrow night, it will occur the next night,
Thursday.

Cheers,
Steve

Mr. Barbone, (sent tonight)

Thank you so much for the CD.

The concert was great. My mom and I enjoyed it very much. And my fellow
students did also. They are a bit jealous that your band is the subject
of "my" paper and not any of theirs.

It was very interesting because between you and your band you have
worked
with almost every Jazz artist that I am currently studying in class.

It is great to see you and your band members enjoy their work as much as
you
do. I hope to have the same good fortune.

If you don't mind, I may be in touch soon if I need any additional
information.

By the way, would you come and speak to our class about some of those
musicians?

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike:

Glad you could come. Glad we are relevant for you and your class. Ask
any
questions you want and we will answer them.

It is fun to perform, especially for a band averaging 70 years old like
the one you saw tonight. And we are still creative as you noted in our
discussion after the gig. We are fortunate to be so far removed from
your average old folks and enjoying every minute of it.

I would be pleased to talk to your class. Set a date. Maybe next
Wednesday afternoon? We are doing a concert at Commerce Square in
Philadelphia from Noon to 1:30 PM. About 8 blocks from Drexel. Bring the
whole class, or I can be available either before, or after the concert.

Enjoy the CD.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone