[Dixielandjazz] 'Mouldy Figs' term

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 16 16:32:01 PDT 2003

DJML (anybody)--
    This message reminded me that i've always been curious who came up with the term 'mouldy fig' (or even 'Mouldye Fygg') to pertain to dixieland (or trad, or whatever).  Who did it, when, and what does it really mean?
    I checked the OED about this, and they seemed to think some guy from France wrote a letter to a magazine about dixieland and signed it 'Moldy Fig'.  Was that it?  Was this a popular and tasty French snack (at least to them, who like snails and other comestibles of doubtful succulence)?

    Dan