[Dixielandjazz] Freezing our assets off.

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jul 17 01:47:44 PDT 2003

While you in the Northern Hemisphere are vacationing in the sun, we're busy warming ourselves with some hot jazz.  The Victorian Jazz Club, here in Melbourne is celebrating it's 35th birthday with an all star lineup of 10 local musos from various bands, thrown together for a "mix'n match" night of fun & frivolity.  It will take place this Sat, 19th July at the Collingwood Football Club.  Two trumpets, two trom's & two reeds with a 4 piece rhythm section par excellence.  Things are really booming here, with our last 3 nights being fullhouses and our Louis tribute night on Sun. 3rd Aug. being sold out already.  For that night, we're looking forward to Simon Stribling being reunited with the Fireworks J B & trumpeter, Peter Gaudion for another great celebration of the life of the incomparable one.
A very good Melb. clarinetist (a la BG)/ jazz activist, Alex Hutchinson has a great website with excellent links & interesting info. if your have a bit of time to spare for some 'net surfing.
www.jazzlegend.com.au (he's so modest).   I can recommend trumpeter, Eric Holroyd's site (linked) for a good giggle & lots of photos.  Eric lives in Sydney & had a stint with 10th Ave J B.in USA.
Best regards,
Sam Meerkin.
PS. I just love the DJML. It's such fun lurking & watching Stephen B. get all steamed up.