[Dixielandjazz] New Tunes

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Wed Jul 16 11:19:53 PDT 2003

Stephen Barbone said

> Someone said that there are no new tunes to be played as Dixieland since
> after 1960, no music was written that fits polyphonic counterpoint. Or
> more bluntly, that music written after 1960 sucks. So therefore, a
> Dixieland Band cannot go after the kids with "their" music.
>
> I don't see it that way.

Steve, all the tunes you mentioned are aimed at kids in the fortys & fifties
(I won't ask how old you are to call them kids). Not quite what the subject
is about.
I think they are looking more at kids in their teens/early 20's.
There are bands in Melbourne, Australia made up of kids (real, not your
definition) that play current "pop" tunes that other kids can relate to. I
is amazing the number of teens/early 20's go to therse gigs. Some girls go
because of the young musos, that attracts more guys that attracts more girls
etc. These are kids whose parents relate to the music you are bragging
about.
Just because someone is not in the blue rinse set are they a kid.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia