[Dixielandjazz] Better Players

Rev M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 15 10:15:04 PDT 2003

Mr Barbone wrote:

>>> "Better", as described herein, is totally
objective,. Those that play better than Louis do so
because:

1) They play Higher.
2) They Play Faster
3) They play Cleaner
4) They are better masters of the horn.
5) The play vastly more complex harmonics.

Those are THE SAME objective measurements that were used to make the case that Louis was "better" than his contemporaries back in the 1920s and 1930s. <<<

Very interestingly put.  And very much a unique, and somewhat amazing, redefinition of "objective" criteria.  Numbers 1-4 are subjective observations based upon your view of modern jazz musicianship; number 5, based strictly on musical evolution and NOT on individual virtuosity, is at least tenable, though once again not objectively provable, each age has its own view of what constitutes harmonic ingenuity.

I could list as voluminously as you, but from the opposite perspective, musicians who "prove" that individual virtuosity in Louis's day is approximately on the same par as individual virtuosity today.  And because it would be strictly my opinion, it would be as rock-solid as yours is.  Or isn't.

>>> Check your scriptures. <<<

Check your average college aesthetics textbook, and you'll find that each and every age has its own standard of what constitutes "higher," "faster," "cleaner," "better masters," whathaveyou, each of which is used as ammunition for the "belief" that it (ie, each age) is "better" than what went before.

Very chronological, my friend, very chronological.  I won't use the word "snobbery" anymore, because I respect your admittedly current-centric opinion too much.

My opinion is that Louis played TOO high, and that many modern musicians appreciate the mid-range much more, and, consequently, sound "better."  Just imagine that I've included below a huge list of examples, and we're left with tit-for-tat.  Which is hardly objective.  And an improper use of subjectivity, as well.

It's music that's the science, not the virtuosity it inspires.

Respectfully,

Rev Mike.

--
Etc,