[Dixielandjazz] Re: Better Players

willc willc at nova.edu
Tue Jul 15 13:00:04 PDT 2003

Hullo, troops -

Stephen Barbone wrote:

>  Those that play better than Louis do so
> because:
>
> 1) They play Higher.

> 2) They Play Faster

> 3) They play Cleaner
>
> 4) They are better masters of the horn.
>
> 5) The play vastly more complex harmonics.

It should be borne in mind that this opinion comes from a non-brass player.

As a cornetist, I think, relative to "high", that Hackett was right on when he told the prospective buyer of one of his
horns that it was "like new" because he had "hardly ever played it above the staff".

"Faster" implies that it is better to fly into a mountain at 600 mph than at 100 mph. A lot of notes demonstrate skills
only remotely connected with music, unless you're a drummer . . .  no, wait a second, it's true there, too..

"Cleaner" suggests the purity of a sine wave, which has no harmonics, no vibrato and no amplitude variation. This sort of
colorless Miles-like tone is a fine objective in test oscillators but is sad achievement in trumpet players. Louis, Bix,
Bobby, et al forever!

Better masters? Okay, if your goal is screeching, hummingbird, loud trumpet, you do need to be a master of the instrument.
But the mastery without taste and intelligence  . . . hey, Kenny G!! .   I have met classical  (and some big band) players
who can play the Arban exercises flawlessly but who couldn't play an ad lib solo to save their lives. There's more to it
than technology.

They play more harmonics? Harmonics from a trumpet are far less influenced by the resonator (horn) and impedance
transformer (mouthpiece) than by the oral cavity and training, and some people are better equipped in these areas than
others. Actually, I suspect Steve meant harmonies, relating to chord complexity. I must admit that Eddie Higgins is right
when he says I get a hernia if I have to play any chord more involved than a seventh, but I find ruptured ninths offensive
to my ear.

We must all remember, in charity, that Steve is a lawyer and a sax player. He can't help it.

Oh, one last thought on "high": Louis stuck to maryjane. God only knows what the modern kids are shooting up!

Kindly,
Will Connelly