[Dixielandjazz] Re: Better Players

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 15 17:10:16 PDT 2003

Steve said> Regarding someone's comment that Clifford Brown couldn't play
what Louis played, that is just not the case. Clifford
> had all the ammunition. Excellent tone, great feel/fire, great ideas, and
a great melodic approach. To deny that he
> outplays Louis is simply a case of tunnel vision, or being stuck in the
musical time warp of the 1920s / 30s.

With the greatest respect Steve that is just total nonsense. No one has ever
been able to play what Louis played. There have been imitators but thats all
they are. Brown did not have the roots that Louis had. I've never heard
anything he did that stopped me in my tracks. Virtually everything that
Louis did has that effect. Can you seriously imagine Clifford Brown being
able to handle Louis solo in Willie The Weeper?.
Yes Brown may have been a great player in his style - but hot he ain't. Give
me Red Allen, Wild Bill, Herman Autry, Mutt Carey, Cootie, Rex Stewart, Roy
eldridge, hot Lips Page, Lee Collins, Bix or Nick La Rocca any day.
Similarly, you can keep Miles as well.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com