[Dixielandjazz] FW: Precious Lord

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 15 10:43:38 PDT 2003

I sent this to Jim earlier, but forgot to cc it to DJML.
A bit late now perhaps.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Dear Jim,
Thomas A Dorsey (1899-1993) [aka Georgia Tom and no relation to the famous
Dorsey brothers] wrote "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" in Sept 1932 as as direct
result of the tragic death of his wife, Nettie and son Thomas Jr. She died while
giving birth in August 1932 while Tom was playing an engagement in St Louis.
Little Thomas, born healthy, died the next day.
Dorsey was a black blues man who made quite an impact through his 1920s
recordings with Tampa Red and Frankie 'Half Pint' Jaxon. Bessie Smith,  Monette
Moore, Ida Cox and Ma Rainey where among the many who recorded his blues songs.
Many are now classics, still played by jazz bands today, and include: "It's
Tight Like That; Riverside Blues, Somebody's Been Using That Thing; Where Did
You Stay Last Night; Beedle Um Bum; Selling That Stuff; Muddy Water Blues; I
Just Want A Daddy I Can Call My Own".
Recommended reading: 'The Rise of Gospel Blues' Michael W Harris (Oxford
University Press 1992).
Kind regards,
Bill.