[Dixielandjazz] Here's my bio...

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Mon Jul 14 16:20:09 PDT 2003

I thought I'd contribute my bio since it seems the thing to do.

My name is Kurt Bowermaster and I'm probably one of the youngest members of
DJML at 42.  I was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1961.  My family moved to
the Des Moines, Iowa area in 1963 and I started taking drum lessons (heavy
emphasis on rudiments) at age four from my drumming father Jim.

Dad was a national rudimental champion in high school and put himself
through the University of Iowa playing with territory dance bands and local
groups.  Some of the guys he played with include Rich Matteson, Bill Allred,
etc.

When we moved to Des Moines, my dad joined the Kiwanis club and formed The
West Des Moines Kiwanis Dixieland Band as a PR unit of the club.  This group
evolved into The West Des Moines Dixieland Band and recorded several albums
in the 1970's and toured England and Ireland.  This was a swinging four-beat
dixieland band.  At their height, they were playing as many as 250 gigs a
year.

The reason I'm telling you about my dad's band is because It was such a
strong influence on me and my playing.  In the late 60's I remember him
being involved with the West Des Moines Arts and Jazz Festival and bringing
in bands from New Orleans to play.  I remember hanging out with Narvin
Kimball and Zutty Singleton.

When I was seven years old my dad's band played at the Bix Beiderbecke Jazz
Festival (which was a fabulous experience) then we packed up the car and
took a family vacation to New Orleans.  We stayed in the French Quarter in a
hotel with a balcony.  I was too young to go to any clubs, but remember
sitting on the balcony listening to the great sounds of New Orleans
dixieland jazz from Preservation Hall.

I remember reciting the lyrics to "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New
Orleans" in my mind as we headed out of New Orleans for Des Moines.

As a teenager I played the usual garage rock band stuff with my friends, as
well as school concert and jazz bands.  My first professional gig was as the
pit drummer at a local dinner theater when I was 14.  Between acts, us
musicians also worked as waiters and bus boys.  What a great experience and
we got paid too!

When I was proficient enough, I started to fill in with my dad's band when
he couldn't make a gig.  I had listened to them so much and picked up his
style that I fit right in.

I fell in love with the dixieland sound and style of playing immediately.
Some of my peers thought I was nuts.  After all, they'd rather have been
listening to modern jazz groups like Weather Report (which I also love).
But some of my close musician friends really enjoyed the swinging four-beat
sounds of dixieland.

A concert my dad took me to that was a big influence on me was by "The
World's Greatest Jazz Band".  Bobby  Rosengarden was on drums.  What
fantastic musicians and music.

The summer I graduated from high school (1980), I put together a six-piece
dixieland band of all 17 and 18 year old high school kids to play seven days
a week at the Adventureland Amusement Park in Des Moines.  This was a great
experience and lots of fun.

I accepted a full-ride scholarship to play drums in the Grandview College
swing choir.  It was a great way to meet girls.  After a year I decided I
wasn't getting the education I wanted so I transferred to Drake University
to study Advertising and Public Relations in the school of Journalism.

Drake had an excellent music program and I got involved in jazz band.  I met
some really top musicians and we formed "The Dixie Dawgs" dixieland band to
compete in the national Jack Daniels Dixieland Band Contest.  First prize
included a cash scholarship, national tour and a recording contract.  To
qualify, bands had to be all college students.  Our Drake band sent in our
demo tape and even though we were good, the bands from the other schools had
been together much longer and were very polished.  I remember Purdue had a
great band.

I don't think this competition is still going but it should be.  It was a
great way to get college age musicians playing dixieland jazz.

After graduation from college I got a real job in public relations and
continued to play with a variety of bands.  Including several dixieland
bands that played at regional jazz festivals (Fort Dodge, Cedar Falls,
etc.).  But the festival that left the biggest impression on me was when I
was 14 and watched my dad's band play at the Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz
Festival in Davenport.   (I caught the festival bug at an early age).

Over the years, I have performed in or led many successful dixieland bands.
I am currently the leader and drummer/washboard with Party Gras Dixieland
Band. We play 100+ times a year and are the official band for the Iowa Cubs
baseball team (Chicago's minor league team).

>From 1996 to 1999 I organized Jazz Partnerz and produced The Greater Des
Moines Good Times Jazz Festival.  I am very proud of what we accomplished
(top Midwest dixieland bands, hundreds of volunteers, thousands in the
audience, etc.).

I was elected and served several terms on the board of directors of the
American Federation of Jazz Societies (AFJS) and met many great festival
promoters and leaders in the Dixieland movement.

I am currently still leading my Party Gras Dixieland Band and doing whatever
I can to keep dixieland jazz alive in central Iowa.  I am producing the
quarterly Good Times Jazz Concerts Series and feature the best available
bands.  So far I have brought in The Barbary Coast Dixieland Band from
Minneapolis, the Cakewalkin' Jass Band from Toledo, Ohio, and am looking
forward to our July 31st concert featuring The New Wolverine Jazz Orchestra
from Sydney, Australia.  I am bringing back the Barbary Coast band in
October and will have the New Red Onion Jazz Babies from Kansas City  on
February 14, 2004.

I have high hopes of producing another large dixieland jazz festival again
in Des Moines.  Unfortunately every time I mention it, I receive death
threats (from my wife).  Many thanks go out to my long suffering wife Kathy
for putting up with me an my dixieland jazz habit.

I hope this wasn't too boring for you all to read.

P.S. - I am concerned for the future of dixieland / traditional jazz.  The
average age at my concerts is about 70.  This concerns me because I probably
have 30 more years of playing left in me and that means the average age of
my audience will be over 100 when I retire unless we can get younger
audiences to listen to and appreciate America's original musical artform.

Kurt Bowermaster
Bowermaster Group
Publishing - Entertainment - Events

1529 41st Street