[Dixielandjazz] Re: Faster and higher than Louis

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 14 19:47:33 PDT 2003

Steve had said>
> > It should be no surprise to us that every trumpeter in Jazz today plays
> > better than Louis. Faster, cleaner, higher,
> > more ideas. We might as well get used to it. The point, of course is
that
> > Louis innovated Jazz in the beginning. He is
> > THE FATHER. But you can bet the farm that he is proud of his sons who
> > surpass him.

To which Jim replied
>    I find it hard to believe that someone purporting to love jazz and to
be a
> jazz musician actually made this statement.  I wonder why it is that as I
> wind my path down I am throwing out all of my recordings' except Louis
> Armstrongs.  All of the guys who can play faster and higher than Louis
went first.

Jim, I can understand that. Louis probably had no equals and only a few who
came near. Red Allen was one. Many of the high note tricksters of the 30s
and 40s say virtually nothing. Every recod Louis made has some jazz value -
even the Wonderful World. But what about 'Swing That Music' or 'Once in a
While' and countless others.

> I am rediscovering outstanding Armstrong recordings that I very much
ignored.
>   For example, Louis singing, " That's for Me" with beautiful backup from
> Teagarden and Hines.

I did the same with the Louis Deccas from the 30s, Perhaps steve should
chuck out his Clifford Brown, Miles Davis and Dizzy recordings and delve
back as you have done

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com