[Dixielandjazz] Benny Carter's Passing....A Truly Great Loss

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Jul 13 15:02:10 PDT 2003

This is indeed a sad bit of news.
I would have to disagree with Carter being a little bit below Hodge s-- each
was unique in his own talents and approach and should be thought of for the
originality of each player.
Benny was working doing orchestratons for  (I think) MGM in the 50's and I
met him for the first time though my dad, who had met him often over the
years in the business and admired Benny's alto and other reed and trumpet
work. It was a moment to remember for I had many of his early records in my
collection at the time and thought he had the most fluid and tasty alto
sound around. A little bit of hero worship.
His was a multi-talented career - a long one -- and one to remember through
his many recorded works.
Don Ingle