[Dixielandjazz] Re: Multiple Preservation Hall Jazz Bands

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 13 11:36:16 PDT 2003

> "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu> wrote
>
> Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there is A Preservation Hall
> Jazz Band.  Music played at the hall was (is) by whoever was free that
> night or some such arrangement.  Personnel were not constant, not fixed.
> It would be more proper to say the Bands from Preservation Hall.  When I
> went to see them in the New England area in the 70s, I saw two different
> bands at two different venues.  They were both good but both a bit
> different.  I knew they were different ahead of time from advance
> publicity.

Dear Ron & List mates:

On the programs for both Berk's and Clifford Brown Jazz Festivals in Pennsylvania and
Delaware, USA the group that performed was listed as "The Preservation Hall Jazz
Band". On the web site for Preservation Hall, the published schedule refers to
performances there in New Orleans as " The Preservation Hall Jazz Band led by Greg
Stafford", or John Brunious or whom ever is scheduled to lead the band on a particular
night.

There is also a disclaimer that says "Schedule subject to change."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone