Fw: [Dixielandjazz] Re: [Sextet from Hunger]

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Jul 12 20:17:41 PDT 2003

To Bob's question about that horn George had, not sure. Cor d'amore, flugal.
There were several odd ball horns in the cornet range. I remember that he
played at the Beverly Caverns one time with Ben Pollack's Pick-A-Rib Boys.
around 1950 or so.
I recall Joe Yukl on most of the Sextet broadcasts -- a tip of who playing
were those radar-sharp pedal tones he would toss in in the middle of a run.
Damndest thing I ever heard, and he never missed a note. The local (47) had
a picnic in the late 40's for the membership ot at Pop'sWillow Farm in Sun
Valley...a big picnic resort. Another fine trombonist, Ted Vesley, dead all
too young, led a band there with BobHiggins and Stan Story on Clar. In the
middle of an announcement, Yukl popped up on the stage, walked to the mike
with a big pitcher of beer, opened his throat, and poured the whole thing
down. Then he bent to the Mike and gave the loudest belch this side of Spike
Jones -- and it was also almost in pedal tone range. People for yards around
were sure they'd been showered!
There were other great groups playing sets there. The Jimmy Dorsey band with
the
Doreseyland Jazz Band small group had Charlie Teagarden on trumpet.
Wonderful player. Someone commented that they didn't like his heavy vibrato.
Well, for the record it was a lip vibrato and perfectly controlled, if fast.
(I use half and half  hand/lip on trumpet/cornet, and lip vibrato fully on
valve trombone, but a slower wave rate.
Personally I have come over the years to admire Bob Havens' playing more and
more, and enjoyed sitting in on a couple sets with him at a festival in Ohio
in the mid-80's -- first time I had that opportunity. Came to find out he
went to Interlochen Music Academy, about 50 miles from my Michigan shack. He
mentioned that one of his kids also went there. A great training ground, and
almost a prep school for Julliard. Bob clearly knows his horn as well as any
player out there today, but plays with a lot of taste and a gestalt feeling
for our shared musical style.
Great to have Bob back on. The input is terrific. Hang in more often, Bob.
Don Ingle