Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Appearances -  Was  Riverboat  Schedule

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 20:02:52 PDT 2003

In a message dated 12/7/03 3:44:17 pm, barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Unfortunately popularity does not necessarily equate with quality.
>
> How can you claim people have contempt for the audience, and then state
> the above which is pure, elitist, contempt for the audience?

Thou dost surely jest!. Just because MacDonalds is probably the worlds most
popular restaurant chain surely does not endow the unhealthy junk food they
serve with real quality? Surely because Adolph Hitler was very popular indeed in
Germany before World War II this does not make him a 'quality leader'. Kenny G
is I believe very popular in the United States (Not thankfully in this
country though!) but the DJML has been full of messages over the years which do not
suggest that many members think he plays 'quality' jazz.

"Why not visit them in Pori"

Where?

"Is that "perpetuation of a myth" not what "traditional" jazz, OKOM, is
all about?"

No is my answer to this point. The bands that travel around the States and Uk
and probably else where playing note for note recreations the music of the
Glenn Miller Orchestra whilst dressed in WWII American uniforms - now they are
perpetuating a myth. In my book real jazz musicians, whatever style they play,
in should be seeking to express themselves through their playing and their
art. Surely playing of jazz, or for that matter any form of creative playing,
should me regarded by those doing it as more than simply a 'job'. A well known
American musician told me not that long ago that as a young musician he had
received some excellent advice which was 'if playing jazz simply becomes a job and
maybe even a chore then that is the time to give up'.

"What is the difference? between "name" and "quality". Who defines
quality? You, or the rest of the world?"

Of course I and others define quality. That is why I read what is usually
termed a 'quality' newspaper rather than one which sells the greatest number of
copies each day and is referred to by many others as part of the 'gutter
press'.

I think that it is time to move on from this discussion as we are never going
to get anywhere near agreeing. If you can get away with your policy of
multiple bands then so be it.

Cheers,

Jerry
Norwich,