[Dixielandjazz] Re: Clarinetists

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Sat Jul 12 13:16:23 PDT 2003

Bob Ringwald wrote:
 >Listen to the "Live At The Riverwalk" radio shows, either on the radio or
 >streaming audio.  Jim Cullum's current player is terrific.  It doesn't get
 >any better than that.

Don Farwell wrote in reply:

<<Not to hide someone's light under a bushel (of what?), the clarinetist in
question is Ron Hockett, and I certainly agree with Bob's evaluation. Ron
played with the Federal Jazz Commission before matriculating to San
Antonio, and he was also the principal saxophonist with the Marine Band. I
have been listening to Ron for more than 20 years, and I don't think I have
ever heard him play a wrong note. His solos are always imaginative and
beautifully crafted. I don't think there is a better clarinetist around.
Ron's replacement with the Feds was Henning Hoehne. Very different from
Ron, but Henning doesn't have to yield to anyone. He, as well as Ron before
him, is among the reasons the Feds are making a well-deserved name for
themselves on the festival circuit.>>

Many may not be aware that Ron is also one of the great soprano saxophonists
in jazz. The only other player on the scene today to compare him to is Bob
Wilber--naturally, since both Ron and Bob draw inspiration from Bechet, and
both have a legit approach to the sound. I would also mention Kenny Davern,
but he's not been playing much soprano lately.

The reason you might not have heard Ron play soprano on Riverwalk is a
conscious preference by Jim toward the clarinet.

Ron did get a chance, however, to get in his licks on tenor saxophone on a
show we recorded in Sac last May with Harry Allen, also on tenor. The show
is called "Zoot and Al: the Brotherhood of Prez." This show will air later
this year on Riverwalk. It marks a departure for the series--for the first
time, we're venturing into the post-WWII era of jazz, into the land of (dare
I invoke it?) bop.

I'm proud of this show, not only because of the rompin' stompin'
performances, but because of the stylistic  flexibility shown by the rhythm
section, composed of John Sheridan (who was just visiting), Howard Elkins,
moi, and especially the youngster Kevin Dorn on drums. You'll be hearing a
lot more about Kevin in the future (see last month's Miss. Rag). Even Jim
Cullum got a chance to blow jazz on "Four Brothers" and "Five Brothers."

Gosh, what's the world coming to?

Also, if you haven't heard the this week's show on the Rhythmakers, I highly
recommend it. Go to www.riverwalk.org and click on Listen Now or Listen on
the Web. There are no plans to archive the streamed shows, only the current
one will be up for a week.

mopo