[Dixielandjazz] Simultaneous Gigs - Historical take

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Jul 11 18:23:55 PDT 2003

The house band tended to change. Several of the Goldkette units were booked
there. Chuck Wolcott had it at one time, as did Owen Bartlett and Russ
Morgan. Morgan by the way was an orchestrator of great talent and wrote
arrangements for the Detroit Symphony, both the main and pops orchestra.
A sad note is that the "harpies" are -- as I write -- in the Book-Cadillac
picking the bones of this once great hotel that is now a shell.
I do have an ornamental wall tile that came from the ladies room of the
Graystone Ballroom -- where Tram would hold sax section rehearsals for the
Victor band because he liked the acoustics. A friend in Detroit asked me if
a wanted a memento of the Graystone while is was being razed, and I said,
yeah, wall tile from the Ladies adies room. He sent one.My sole treasure of
that time, except the photo of Bix and dad (seen in Evans book on Bix). Dad
had saved the negative, which I now have.
The old Book-Cadillac in its heyday was the equal to the Ritz, the Waldorf,
or the Palmer House. Sad to see how it decayed. Used to have a wonderful Tea
dance combo -- played from 4 to 5:30. Jack Roseveer, a pianist friend of
dad's, like him originally from Toledo, led it... and tea time at the BE-CO
was always "THE" spot to be at 4.
Don Ingle