[Dixielandjazz] Simultaneous Gigs - Historical take

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Jul 11 17:14:03 PDT 2003

The Gene Goldkette office in Detroit was, like Lanin in New York or his
brother Sam in San Francisco (who had Red Nichols and Phil Harris at times),
suppliers of bands. The main, famed Goldkette band of Bix and Tram was the
Victor Recording Orchestra. But he also had some other units of pretty good
personnel.
They included:
*  Henry Biagini and the Orange Blossoms - this became the Casa Loma band.
*  Chuck Wolcott and his Society orchestra- Wolcott later became musical
director on most Mickey Mouse and other Disney Cartoons.
* The Vagabonds, led by pianist Fred Bergin who was also the Detroit office
manager for Goldkette.
* The Owen Bartlett Orchestra, which featured Jimmy Dorsey for a short time.
* The Detroit Athletic Club Orchestra, led at times by Tommy Dorsey or Russ
Morgan
* The Bob Lo Island Pavilion orchestra; led by different leaders week to
week -- my dad was one, and Walter Hunt (Pee Wee) another.
In all there were as many as 16 Goldkette Groups playing under the GG
banner.
In 1929, Goldkette and his partner Charlie Horvak opened the Play-Mor
ballroom in Kansas City under violinist/leader Harold Stokes. To get it
started off, he filled the band with some of his Detroit stable which
included at that time my dad, Red Ingle, and also Andy Secrest, the Bix
sound-alike who eventually took over for Bix with Whiteman; and on piano for
a short stay was Hoagy Carmichael. (The famous story about some of the guys
tossing Hoagy's cornet (which he wanted to play in the worst way and that
was how it sounded) down the air shaft in the building they stayed in was,
according to my dad, true. Eventually, the Detroit guys were replaced by
locals who joined the KC band, and most returned to Detroit, with my dad
soon to leave for Chicago later than year to work with Maury Sherman's Orch.
(pianist Ray Sherman's dad) and then with Ted Weems from 1931 to 1941.
But in all cases, each Goldkette office band had a unique name and was not
in the sense of being many bands under the same name but a band of its own
under the Goldkette banner, a mark of the quality of the music provided.
The Victor Band,with Bix and Tram, was the flagship, and soon after it broke
up, the fortunes of the Goldkette office began a decline that the Depression
finished by early '30's.
Just a bit of history as handed down from one who lived through it all, my
father. Gather 'round the fire, children, while the legends are told for
another generation to hear.
Don Ingle