[Dixielandjazz] Kim Cusack's Commission

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 17:18:43 PDT 2003

Several week ago I received a surprising and welcome email from Kin Cusack,
the principle clarinetist with the Salty Dogs and other notable Traditional
Jazz groups. I have worked  lot with Kim over the years and I know him to be a
reedist of the highest order and a man of principle.

Mr Cusack was seeking my present address as he claimed that he had a
commission that he owed to me for a gig that I had graciously turned over to him. I
presented my address and offered the comment that as time had lapsed, certainly
interest had accrued and the amount that he owed me would now be double the
original amount.  Mr. Cusack saw through this brazen con immediately and
rejected it, causing me to withdraw in shame and embarrassment.

Since this communication took place I have greeted the mail carrier everyday,
expecting the arrival of this commission check.  Each day I beseech he
carrier to look into his-her bag yet again but no check is forthcoming.

So, I wonder if Mr. Cusack was playing some crude Ernie Carson joke on me or
if financial ruin may have come his way. I don't think that he stopped by some
bar and drank it away or lost it at the track.  Perhaps he is cross with me
for my clumsy attempt to jack up the size of his commission check.

And so, I retreat in befuddlement, watching for the mail carrier.

Jim Beebe