[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 18

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 21:43:14 PDT 2003

> George Thurmond wrote:
>
> Hey Steve Barbone -
>
> You, sir, are stirring up a hornets nest concerning who is/was
> the best promoter of jazz fests.

Yes.

> At your next gig kindly play a request
> from me dedicated to Bill Borcher and Roger Krum - the theme from the James
> Bond movies - you know the one - "Nobody Does It Better".

Yes.

> George (We're all entitled to our opinion) Thurmond

Yes, I've always stated that clearly. Mine is that every jazz festival that ever was, owes its emergence to George Wein and the 1954 Newport Jazz Festival. It was the first jazz festival of any importance that I am aware of. (if not purely the first) Not only that but George Wein has consistently produced the finest Jazz Festivals in the World for the past half century. By all the measures of success that apply to jazz festivals.

Cheers,
Steve ( Yes) Barbone