[Dixielandjazz] New Book For Jazz Festival Promoters

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 9 02:08:49 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Barbone"

<snip>

: Besides, Newport in 1954 was really the first great jazz
: festival no?

Steve,

What about the 1944 (45?) Esquire jazz festival at New York's Metropolitan
Opera House, that had some pretty good names on the schedule as I recall.
Embarrassingly, I cannot recall just who as my LP's of that festival are
packed away. I do vaguely recall tho' there was a drum duet feature with
Lionel Hampton and Big Sid Catlett also, sadly, that the overall sound
quality of the LP's is quite dire for the most part.
-=-
 John,
        Suffolk, England.
                    ?