[Dixielandjazz] Re: the Earliest Saxophones

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 13:33:16 PDT 2003

coneyislandgirl at softcom.net writes:

> For those who play by ear, the banging eventually wears down the tympanic
> membrane, thus making it easier to play without the noise of the band.
> As for which ear goes for which side of the piano, it really doesn't matter.
> It will sound the same.  What I would suggest is do what LOOKS better- the
> more you move, the more it looks like you know what you're doing.  At least
> that's what Jerry Lee Lewis did, which is why he sounds better live than on
> a recording.
>
> ~kymmi~

Hey Kymmi:

You are absolutely correct, and I know the Jerry Lee Lewis show very well
having worked with him in yesteryears he is a master showman, and does not play
piano anywhere close to his cousin Mickey Gilley.

The moving around part works, I know because once a few years ago I booked a
band for a big Lions Club Dance, and at the last minute (I do mean 30 minutes
before downbeat they canceled because of an auto accident in route.)  I could
not find a replacement band with a thirty minute notice, so I grabbed my
Yamaha Clavinova with its computer disc player and a stack of discs and a
microphone and a small amplifier and headed to the hall.

The show must go on, and I make it a policy to never give the money back,
good gigs are too hard to book anyway for most acts.

Now keep in mind I do not play piano at all and being a drummer would be hard
pressed to find middle C on the keyboard if asked to do so on the first try.
The keys all look alike to me.

Well, I got there and sat up and explained to the folks what had happened and
that I had no choice but to try and make their dance at least a dance with
some music.  They said OK and I started playing those disc of Big Tiny Little,
Al Wilson, and Dick Hyman, moved around a lot and acted like I was really into
the music, had em all going and at the first intermission I had a few folks
come up to me and comment about how they knew I was a drummer, they had no idea
I was such a great piano player as well.  I just smiled and used the Elvis
line, Thank you very much your so kind, glad your enjoying the show.

Standing ovation came when I played Big Tiny Little's Under the Double Eagle,
but I had cramps in my hands for ten minutes after trying to move that many
fingers that fast for that long.  I am still in awe of Tiny's skills and style.
  Boy did I move around a lot on that tune, would have made OLE Jerry Lee
proud.

There were a couple of real piano players in the house who had been out
dancing with their wives and one of them commented about how much I sounded like Al
Wilson, and I asked him if he wanted to sit in,  he said oh no I don't play
nearly as well as you.

The Lions club was so happy they tried to book me again solo for another
dance in another city the next month for even more money, I thanked them and
insisted that I bring along the rest of my band for that dance.  Whew!

That was probably the hardest gig I ever had to pull off in my thirty years
of entertaining, but it worked and I kept the money thank you very much.
Everyone had a great time even me especially when it was finished and nobody
figured out what I had done.

One couple wanted to know how I got so many instrument sounds out of that
piano, I told them I have a computer attached and I record all the other parts
before I come and then I only have to play the chords on the gig and can
concentrate on the entertainment side.

You can fool all of the people once in a while.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
I shudda been an actor, and then again maybe I am, acting like I am a
drummer.