[Dixielandjazz] New Book For Jazz Festival Promoters

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 13:05:06 PDT 2003

Bcf111 at aol.com (Ben Fowlkes) wrote:

>  In a message dated 7/8/03 7:09:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:
>
> > Nobody, but nobody, does it better.
>
> Watch my lips, Steve.  Can you say "Bill Borcher"?  Can you say "Roger
> Krum"?

Yes, of course I can, they put on  great festivals. I am not denying
their talent or their success.

However, they do not remotely compare with The Newport Jazz Festival,
and/or the JVC Jazz Festival and/or The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage
Festival in a) nationally prominent headliner jazz performers, b) and/or
quality of music, c) and/or profitability, d) and/or sponsor
participation. Besides, Newport in 1954 was really the first great jazz
festival no?  George Wein can be favorably compared with Louis Armstrong
in that context. He was firstest with the mostest and he is still there
50 years later. Who else accomplished that in the world of festival
production?

Just check out the performers at JVC this year. More "jazz" there than
at the next three top Jazz Festivals combined. Perhaps not OKOM to your
or my tastes, but that is not the point.

The point is that in an era of falling attendance at many, if not most,
OKOM festivals, there is much to be gained by exploring the ingredients
that make Mr. Wein's festivals such an unparalleled success, over such a
long time span.

Borcher, Krum, et al have done a fine job. Wein just does it better, and
a visit to any of the festivals he produces will make that point very
clear. As will a look at who the performers are at a festival like JVC.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone