[Dixielandjazz] Rushton, Teagarden, N.O. jazz sites

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Jul 7 17:25:15 PDT 2003

The notice about the Rosy McHargue re-release from the old Jump label
reminded me of the many great 78s on the big orange-labeled Jump discs.
Bass saxist Joe Rushton, who's on some of the McHargue sides, frequently
appeared on Jump. He's one of the most unique and under-rated jazz artists,
in my opinion. Anyone know his great work on "After You've Gone" on Jump?
Are there CD resissues of other fine Jump sides? Also, info in any other
records that feature Joe to good advantage would be welcomed.

The tributes to Jack Teagarden as a giant of jazz prompt me to put in a
word for his brother, trumpeter Charlie. He didn't re-define jazz on his
instrument, as Jack did, but he was one fine player. Jack's work is
available aplenty. At least some of Charlie's less abundant work has been
re-issued. He's terrific with Jimmy Dorsey's band-within-a-band, the
Dorseyland Jazz Band (Jazz Crusade, JCCD-3035) with Ray Bauduc and Cutty
Cutshall on several tracks. Dig Charlie esp. on "Struttin' with Some
Barbecue." He even sings on "Charley My Boy."

Jack died while playing at the Dream Room in New Orleans when I was N.O.
correspondent for Down Beat. There was a whole slew of tributes in DB, and
as I recall there was for a while a plaque commemorating Jack attached to
the D.R. building, long gone, I suspect.

Re where to go for jazz in New Orleans, I don't live there any more but I
do know that a place where musicians hang out to play and hear OKOM is Nina
Buck's Palm Court Cafe on Decatur St. in the Quarter. It has become
fashionable to say that Preservation Hall is now pretty bland jazz-wise,
but there are always some fine players in the line-up. I'd start my list of
favorites--trumpeters Leroy Jones and Duke Heitger...but I'd leave many
out, and they might not be your choices. Pick up a free copy of GAMBIT or
get the weekly LAGNIAPPE section of the Times-Picayune for who's where,
then ask around for tips on good groups.

Charlie Suhor