[Dixielandjazz] How to play the saxophone

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Mon Jul 7 19:59:44 PDT 2003

>From the estimable Bill Gunter comes the following :

" I have read a good deal about various method books for saxophone and have
 talked to many reed players about the problems of mastering the sax."

On British TV today during a programme called Flog It (similar format to The
Antiques Road Show) a member of the public turned up with a slide saxophone.
It looked like a regular sax but instead of keys it had a slide like that
fitted to a swanee whistle. When the owner played the peculiar contraption
it sounded like two cats fighting under a blanket. He claimed that it was
extremely rare (apparently when they appear in auctions they are fought over
in the US ), In the light of the unappealing music (?) it produces I am not
at all surprised and wonder why the manufacturers bothered to make such a
ghastly thing. Believe me, the slide saxophone is never going to rule the
world of OKOM.

John Farrell
stridepiano at tesco.net