[Dixielandjazz] from Pamela Teagarden

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jul 7 08:20:45 PDT 2003

Dear Pamela:
Jack was nondoubt the most influential and distinct jazz trombonist of the
ages. I knew him slightly but knew his brother Charlie, a great trumpeter,
and his sister Norma, a fine jazz pianist much better. I met his brother Cub
(a drummer) only once and that as a very small lad (me).
Their mother was in her own right a very fine pianist, and it was a muscial
family with strong jazz roots. They hailed from Vernon ,Texas. The
Teagardens, according to Charlie, were of German origins but Mother Teagrden
was very English. Jack was a rather dark complextioned man, while Charlie
and Norma were very fair skinned, English looking. Jack was often mistaken
for having Indian (American tribal) blood, but in fact was just a very dark
haired person.
Jack's sound was truly unique. Most musicians of the jazz world have only to
hear three of four notes to identify his playing at once.
Jack played in many films over the years -- I am sure the movie buffs among
our listees will be able to supply all of the movies.
Jack. and later his brother Charlie worked for Paul Whiteman's Orchestra,
and along with saxophonist Frank Trambauer, were known as the 3 T's, playing
some jazz choruses on a number of Witeman recordings. English Discographer
Brian Rust's books are a great source of record information and most larger
libraries will no doubt have these in their reference shelves.
I recently was sent tapes I made and gave to a fecently departed friend
years ago  from a jam session in Davenport, Iowa at the Bix Biederbecke Jazz
Festival (another name you should become familiar with.)
Members of the Bob Barndard (Australian) band, the Jim Cullum Band, the Sons
of Bix Band, and a few others took part in the session. Playing some
wonderful piano on several numbers was Norma Teagarden. This was in 1976.
Now I must get my reel to reel tape deck repaired (drive belts) so I can
play it as the original cassette recording is no longer extant.
Jack's enormous talent overshadowed the others, but in my opinion
CharliesTeagarden may have been, over all in all style of jazz music from
live to in-studio day-to-day world, the best of the lot. My opinion --
others may very well disagree. But that same set of opinions says that so
far I have not heard any better than Jack on trombone, and that Norma in her
prime was as good as it gets on the piano, solo-wise or comping
(accompaning) in the rhythm secton.
You are the bearer of a name to be proud of, and you will enjoy the learning
experiences ahead of you as you listen and learn about your wonderful family
in jazz. Enjoy the trip -- it will be grand.
Don Ingle