[Dixielandjazz] Re: Johnny Best

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 7 08:31:31 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "robert craven"

:John Best was also in that great "Artie Shaw Navy Band" during world war
:two. They were in both the European and Pacific theaters. I heard them in
:England at the Covent Gardens in London in 44.

Bob,
That would have been the Navy Band which Sam Donahue took over from Artie
and from accounts I have read (was only 2 at the time so wasn't allowed out
for such events <vbg>), they blew Major Glenn Miller's AEF Orchestra "off
the stage" when it came to the "swing factor". Did you ever see/hear GM's
AEF outfit to compare .... or the other two AEF bands, Canuck Bob Farnon
and Brit Stanley Black ?

-=-

 John,
        Suffolk, England.