[Dixielandjazz] True Duck Story: with musical content:

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Jul 6 15:49:06 PDT 2003

Most of you probably don't know that I used to work with the famous Country
act George Jones and Tammy Wynette, back in the early seventies, booking and
promoting concerts for them on the West Coast.

After they finally drank themselves into the final breakup, I still worked
some dates for Tammy, but George mostly stayed back east, but eventually I found
the market right to bring him back out west for a weekend at the Circle Star
Theater.  He was supposed to have been off the bottle by that time and I had
not seen him for several years.

Well, I was over at the Theater getting ready for the concert which was sold
out, and I got a call from the Holiday Inn, it was Old George speaking in
fluent Donald Duckese and he said "This Is Donald Duck and I am ready to come over
and do sound check, and I am going to do the entire show as Donald Duck."

I of course told him there was no way he could do that, and he got really
upset and said he was damned well gonna do it and if I didn't like it I could go
to Hell, because his Doctor told him to do it, and I told him his Doctor was a
Quack.

 He had already called several Radio Stations for on air interviews and told
them he was Donald Duck and was gonna do the show that way.  He continued to
talk as Donald Duck all weekend, I think he actually convinced himself that
indeed he was Donald.  He was certainly having a good time all by himself.  That
was my last conversation with George, (Donald) to this day.

I resorted back to what we used to do when George went on a bender while he
was on tour with Tammy, he would often find a bar and disappear for three or
four days at a time.  I called Merle Haggard to come fill in for him and do the
show.

 The audience used to yell up to the stage at Tammy "Where's George?"  And
Tammy would almost cry and then smile and answer back "Hell even George don't
know where George is folks, or he would be here, so we got Merle Haggard to come
fill in for him is that all right with ya'll?"  The audience would always
roar with laughter and welcome Merle or whoever else we got to come sing with
Tammy.  The show always went on, and I NEVER gave the Money Back.

  Accept once for Miles Davis, but that was Jazz, and that audience is not so
forgiving as a country one.

Since that Donald Duck show, incident, every time I go duck hunting I can't
help but get the giggles sitting in the blind, and every time I hear a duck
call I remember old George Jones and Donald Duck and think about going home and
cookin' chicken.

I never heard of him ever becoming "Chicken George," however.
Cheers,

Tom Wiggins