[Dixielandjazz] Women's Lib and Jazz Musicians

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 5 14:09:27 PDT 2003

Can't understand what all the fuss is about concerning musicians and
various Women's Liberation Groups. No doubt about it, Women's Lib, NOW,
etc.,  were the greatest thing that ever happened to jazz musicians.
Some of the between song patter that I use explains it:

"You know, not only are these musicians some of the best around, but
they are some of the luckiest. In the 60s, they were objects of the
Women's Liberation movement. It started when Xaviera Hollander wrote
"The Happy Hooker" and later in the decade when "J" wrote "The Sensuous
Women".

"Both books encouraged women to break out of their shells and enjoy
their freedom. Both suggested that women should chase men like men chase
women. How? Where? Why in Jazz Clubs, of course, and while there, seek
out the Jazz Musicians. Chat them up. Why?"

"Because most Jazz Musicians adore women. And they are very sensual.
They are also experimental and will try anything at least one. And being
on the road they are lonely and vulnerable. And best of all, they are in
town for a week or two and then have to leave so you can have your way
with them and then be done with it, without a messy break up scene."

"So what happened? In the 60s we jazz musicians were sought after as sex
objects by hordes of liberated women. Now, the guys in Barbone Street
went through that then, so not only are they wonderful musicians as you
can hear, but also great lovers as you will find out if you hit on
them".

"For our next song we'd like to play Butt Love, as in "I Can't Give You
Anything But Love"

Bottom Line? Thanks to NOW, Women's Lib etc. (and Xaviera and "J")  I
still make the effort, but don't regret it if a lady opens her own
doors, or orders her own meal in a restaurant, etc. Man, why sweat the
small stuff?

Cheers,
Steve