[Dixielandjazz] Question about John Best

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jul 2 09:57:17 PDT 2003

Trumpeter Johnny Best was not only a great section man but a really
exceptional jazz player. I last heard him at the San Diego festival some
years back. John was in a wheelchair, injured, I was told,  by a fall from
an avocado tree on his avocado "ranch" while picking or tree trimming.
Though his legs were not working well, his horn and ideas were flowing like
a young turk's.
I used to hear him in the famous jam sessions at the old Club 47 in Studio
City where the studio guys came in to keep their jazz chops up since they
never got to play jazz in their studio underscoring work. John was also one
of the original trumpet men in the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
The man played with enough fire to drive the band at full flank speed all
through the sets I hard.
I suspect that when a gig comes up, John Best still has enough of the "right
stuff" to make the kids sit up and take notice.
Don Ingle