[Dixielandjazz] An intro I use - controversial intros

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Tue Jul 1 23:51:42 PDT 2003

On 7/1/03 6:05 PM, Schnabbels at aol.com wrote:
>    "... Like her or not, at least spell the name right..."

To which Charlie replied:
>    "I bow to your superior knowledge of the lady:
>    you shall remain my superior by my not giving a s..t.
>    cheerfully,
>    Charlie"

"Oh, beha-a-a-a-a-ve!!!" (Quoting Austin Powers.)

My point for you to consider, Charlie, concerns ANY kind of controversial
humor. People are out to be entertained, not (potentially) offended.
One has to know their audience before selecting jokes.
At a men's club, you might win the crowd with a slam on women's libbers,
but among other diverse crowds.
(Yeah, yeah, whine about it. Pick & choose your gigs, IF you can afford to.)

As an artist, I have to choose what is right for a particular job,
whether I like it or not. Too bad.
(Unless it's pro-bono work; then I have carte blanche. VBG :-D

Bottom line:
It's tough enough making HALF the audience laugh.
If you alienate half the room with a joke that's out of place,
youre left with a FRACTION of a chance to make people laugh.
Logical? (For a woman, anyway??)    ;-) teehee
Professional???

Love and hugs,
Nancy