[Dixielandjazz] Women in Jazz

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 20:14:56 PDT 2003

Dear List Mates,

If you are in the Northeast or Mid Atlantic States, by all means go see
this band. Festival promoters: What are you waiting for? Contact them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

  On Sunday, July 6, 2003 from 8:30 -11:00 PM, The Kit McClure All Women
Quintet will celebrate the music of The International Sweethearts of
Rhythm in a 4th of July weekend performance at the Enfield Town Green in
Enfield, CT.  The concert will include original big band swing, latin,
R&B, and other musical arrangements based on the music of the
International Sweethearts of Rhythm.  This live concert is in support of
the Kit McClure Band's upcoming 2003 CD releases, The Sweethearts
Project and The Sweethearts Revisited.  The Kit McClure All Women Band
premiered the Sweethearts Concert at the Jacksonville Jazz Festival 2003
to rave reviews and audience response.

 The International Sweethearts of Rhythm were one of the most popular,
original, and powerful big bands of the 1940s.  They, like many female
musicians of that and more recent eras, have not achieved the
recognition they deserved.  This concert immerses the audience in the
rich heritage of women's contributions to jazz, swing, and American
popular music.

 The Kit McClure All Women Band has almost every major female jazz
musician in the country as an alumna, and continues to be the wellspring
of new female jazz talent.  The Band has been touring and recording for
over twenty years and has performed in the US, Canada, Europe, and Japan
as the headline act.  In addition, the Band has collaborated with such
musical giants as Cab Calloway and Robert Palmer, to name but a few. The
Band's two CDs, Some Like it Hot and Burning, released on Redhot
Records, receive widespread critical acclaim and continue to sell well
and receive substantial airplay.

 For more information on the Kit McClure Band, please visit
http://www.redhotrecords.com.  To contact the Band call 212-864-6759 or
email at booking at redhotrecords.com.

 Admission to the concert will be free of charge.  For more information
on the concert please visit
http://www.enfieldcelebration.org/entertainment.html.

 This is a performance of extraordinary music by extraordinary women
presented by extraordinary women musicians.  We hope that you can join
us in celebrating the music of the International Sweethearts of Rhythm.

Directions to the Enfield Town Green:
>From Springfield Massachusetts and points north:

To Town Green......
Merge onto I-91 South. Take the Elm Street exit (number 48) towards
Thompsonville. Turn right onto Elm Street (Rt-220). Turn right onto
Enfield Street (Rt-5). Note, Parking near the Town Green is limited.

To Parking and Shuttle Bus......
Merge onto I-91 South. Take the Elm Street exit, (number 48) turn left
onto Elm Street. Turn right into the Westbrook Shopping town (formerly
Enfield Square Mall). Parking area is at the back of the mall. The
shuttle will run approximately every 10 minutes each day during the
Celebration's open hours.

>From Hartford, New Haven and points south:
To Town Green......

Merge onto I-91 North. Take the Elm Street exit (number 48) towards
Thompsonville. Turn right onto Elm Street(Rt-220). Turn Right onto
Enfield Street (Rt-5) Note, Parking near the Town Green is limited.

To Parking and Shuttle Bus......
Merge onto I-91 North. Take the Elm Street exit (number 48). Turn Left