[Dixielandjazz] Oppie Cates

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jul 2 09:51:43 PDT 2003

On the old Judy Canova radio show, there was a featured player who was also
a comic character on the show. Each week Oppie Cates would be featured on
intermission break on a fine jazz clarinet  solo.
I used to wait for this show because he would play some very fine things
worth listening to beyond what what truly a funny show.
I never did know much about his back ground, or what happened to him after
the show went off air. Anybody out there who can fill in the gaps about this
fine player?

I also used to listen to Fibber McGee and Molly each week for the Billy
Mills band intermission number. On alternate weeks the band would feature a
solo spot, one week it would be guitarist Perry Botkin, the alternate week a
very Bixian cornet solo by Andy Secrest. Again, some great moments of jazz
within another very funny show. AH-H--those were (indeed) the days!
Don Ingle