[Dixielandjazz] Latter-day Pee Wee

Jim Denham james at jiming.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 03:25:32 PDT 2003

Now that both Pee Wee Russell's "modern" albums with Marshall Brown and
the quartet are available on CD ("Ask Me Now!", on Impulse A-96, and
"New Groove" on  Collectables COL-CD-6893), we have the opportunity to
review this period of Pee Wee's career (ie: 1962).

I personally like this stuff (even the Coltrane and Ornette Coleman
material), but I refuse to go along with those who claim this was Pee
Wee's finest hour, and all else that had gone before was mere
"dixieland"
  dross.

I also understand that Pee Wee himself soon tired of this band and of
Marshall Brown's self-righteous strictures.

My personal view is that Pee Wee's happiest latter-day recording was
"Swingin' with Pee Wee" (1958, presently available on Prestige
PRCD-24213-2), with Buck Clayton and Tommy Flanagan, which found him
free from the limitations of Condonesque "dixieland", but not yet a
self-conscious "modernist".

Any one else agree?
--
Jim Denham