[Dixielandjazz] Brief bios - Anton

t.roper3 t.roper3 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 1 01:39:07 PDT 2003

> :-)
Polite excerpt

> It would be nice if more members chimed in even if it is to give their
> names and favorite current and/or past bands are.  You don't have to be
> a musician or musician-wannabe.  Just say a bit about why you are here.
>

> Well here goes - I'm a lurker!

I was born in London in 1939.  In the mid 1950's I was invited to a party
but had to bring along a 'jazz record'.

With absolutely no knowledge of the subject I went to our local electrical
,cum record ,shop and asked for any jazz record.

I left the shop with two E.P's - Kid Ory playing Ory's Boogie, Blues for
Jimmy Noone and St. Louis Blues and Humphrey Lyttleton playing  his P.T.Q.
Rag and, inter alia, Ce Mossieu qui parle (Bechet).

Thus started a journey along a road from which I have hardly ever deviated.
I was bought a copy of Louis and Sidney Bechet's Coal Cart Blues soon
afterwards and then sought out 'live' jazz.  This I found firstly at the Cy
Laurie Jazz Club in London's West End.  It was many years before I realised
that the live music I had grown to love was in fact no more than a copy of
the real thing.

This was never a detterent though and to this day I listen to OKOM live
every week at the Pump House Jazz Club in Watford Herts U.K. and visit as
many Jazz Festivals as possible - I have today returned from the 18th Oliver
Cromwell Jazz Festival at Upton upon Severn in Worcestershire where I heard
one of our list mates playing for Zenith Hot Stompers and Harlem.  Another
listmate's 'bio' mentioned being in the Army with Gordon Whitworth and I was
lucky enough to see and listen to his Bix and Louis tribute bands this
weekend.

When I hear a live band I always, money permitting, buy a CD at the venue
and have now amassed quite a collection of recordings which give me an
enormous amount of pleasure both at home and in the car and , I like to
think, show proper support for all those talented musicians who give us
members of the audience, so much enjoyment.

I have also accumulated quite a sizeable library of books about jazz.

Having been dragged kicking and screamng into the 20th Century by aquiring a
computer last year I immediately set out to find a site which had some
relevance to my interests and lo and behold I stumbled upon this wonderful
site.  I must confess to feeling intimidated by the knowledge displayed by
some of the listmates and thus rarely feel competent to join a discussion or
'thread'. However I have learned a great deal in the past 8 months or so but
it would be interesting to learn from which Continent some of the mail
eminates.

Having given a lot of thought to Ron L'Herault's comment I would choose as
my favourite band from the past King Oliver's Jazzband and from bands I hear
live I would choose The Antique Six or Bob Dwyer's Hot Seven.

Terry Roper - Harrow U.K.