[Dixielandjazz] Racial prejudice

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Thu Jan 30 09:26:43 PST 2003

On the general subject of prejudice amongst people of color toward their
own, I haven't seen it posted here that there were clubs in those days that
used the "paper bag rule" at the door.  Blacks whose skin color was darker
than a brown paper bag were not allowed to enter.  Those whose skin was as
light or lighter, were.  Everyone in question simply laid his or her hand on
a brown paper bag at the door.

Bill Biffle
Trumpet and leader
The Duke City Dixieland Jazz Band