[Dixielandjazz] Yama Yama Man

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Wed Jan 29 20:55:07 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/25/03 2:35:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CoonSander at aol.com writes:

> Does anybody know just what the heck a Yama Yama Man is?

The song came from a Broadway show called The Three Twins.  I wouldn't be
surprised if you searched for that you would find even more information.  We
always save that tune for our Halloween shows.  But we could do live at your
next Coon-Sanders Bash......ahem.

<A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/show.asp?ID=8683">Three Twins</A>
<A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/venue.asp?ID=1199">Herald Square Theatre</A>, (6/15/1908 - Closing date unknown)
<A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/venue.asp?ID=1251">Majestic Theatre</A>, (1/18/1909 - Closing date unknown)
Preview:            Total Previews:
Opening:    Jun 15, 1908
Closing:    Closing date unknown        Total Performances: 288
Category: Musical, Original, Broadway
Comments:

Opening Night Production Credits

Produced by <A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=22722">Joseph M. Gaites</A>.

Music by <A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=13507">Carl Hoschna</A>; Book by <A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=38041">Charles Dickson</A>; Lyrics by <A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=13498">Otto A. Hauerbach</A>;
Based on the farce "Incog." by: <A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=11126">Mrs. R. Pacheco</A>.

Directed by <A HREF="http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=16218">Gus Sohlke</A>.

Karl Hoschna
b. Aug. 16, 1877, Kuschwarda, Bohemia d. Dec. 23, 1911, New York, NY
As a young man, Karl had a scholarship at the Vienna Conservatory, where he
studied the Oboe. He graduated with honors, and found work in the Austrian
Army Band (playing the Oboe).In 1896, he emigrated to the U.S. and played
Oboe in Victor Herbert's band. A very peculiar obsession possessed him at
this time. It became his belief that the Oboe's double reed vibrations would
affect his mind. He wrote a letter to Isidor Witmark, a famous Tin Pan Alley
publisher, asking for any kind of job, menial or otherwise. Witmark hired him
as a copyist, but he was soon doing arrangements, and even helping Witmark to
select songs for publication. In 1902, Hoschna met Otto Harbach, then a young
advertisng man who ambition was to write for the Broadway stage. Two two of
them began to collaborate. They wrote a score for a musical called 'The
Daughter of the Desert', which they never produced. They did score three
other musicals which did reach Broadway, all failures. Brief chronology:
But in 1908, their 'The Three Twins' opened. The big hit was:
   "Yama Yama Man", lyric by Colin Davis, sung by Bessie McCoy.
   "Cuddle Up A Little Closer", lyric by Otto Harbach

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY
Traditional Jazz since 1958