[Dixielandjazz] "Go Back Where You Stayed Last Night"

Goggin, Brian (Dublin) GoggiBri at exchange.ie.ml.com
Wed Jan 29 14:24:56 PST 2003

That (or a variation) is a standard or "stock" blues verse.

Robert Johnson "32-20 Blues":
"Ow, baby where did you stay last night" x 2
"You got the hair all tangled and you ain't talkin' right"

Blind Boy Fuller "Somebody's been playin' with that thing":
"Ida, Ida, where'd you stay last night"
"Your hair's all tangled and your clothes ain't fittin' you right"

The title and idea turn up in several places.
King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band recorded a tune called "Where did you stay
last night" and Nirvana of all people covered the Leadbelly tune "In the
Pines"
with a similiar title.