[Dixielandjazz] Re: stride x comp (DJML 465)

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 26 23:57:11 PST 2003

Or it could be short for "complement", which is how I should have spelled
it originally. But Tito is right. The word "comp" in the latest
dictionaries has a "jazz" definition, vague as it may be.

"comp - Jazz, to play an accompaniment, usually, specifically, one
consisting primarily of chords played in a syncopated rhythm: said of a
pianist, guitarist, etc."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone