[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Jingles" by Johnson

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 27 10:19:03 PST 2003

Dear Dick,
Jingles is most definitely a James P Johnson composition.
One of my favourites, and in my collection (on 78) since the 1950s.
It is reissued frequently and available on LP and CD.
He recorded it for Brunswick in NYC on 21 Jan 1930 although it was lodged with
LoC in 1926.
Other versions include:
Clarence Williams Orch   Oct 1927
Frank Traynor's Jazz Preachers (Australian) Oct/Nov 1973
Dick Hyman   May 1975
John Gill (Eng/Aust) Nov/March 1983 Stomp Off LP.
Sue Keller (in NYC) Aug 1992
Claus Jacobi  March 1993   Stomp Off LP
Louis Mazetier/Neville Dickie May 1994   Stomp Off CD
Guitarist Wes Montgomery recorded a "Jingles" several times (1959, 1961, 1965)
but I would not expect it the be the James P Johnson tune.
Kind regards,
Bill.