[Dixielandjazz] Recent Oscar Peterson interview

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Sat Jan 25 20:48:35 PST 2003

Nancy told us about the Jim Galloway/Oscar Peterson interview....both
outstanding gentlemen of jazz.  Being a big fan of both of them, I had to go
to the website to read the whole thing.  I quote the last part of it without
comment.

J: If you had a piece of advice to give to somebody who had eyes for being
in the business, what would you say, apart from "Don't" (laughs)..

O: I would use one word: integrity. Don't lose your integrity. It's very
easy to do that, Jim, if you think about it. Once you give up the integrity,
then I think you can give up trying to project any talent you may have.
Because there are certain things again thanks to Norman primarily paving the
way in some ways, there are certain things I wouldn't acquiesce to do. I'd
say "no".. I won't call any names.... there are a couple of instances... I
was called upon to do an album with a lady that sings, I won't mention any
names, and they offered me an awful lot of money. And I said, I don't want
to hurt her feelings, but,... "I'm not available. Just tell her, don't get
into a thing, just tell her I'm not available." 'Cause there was no way that
would work; she's not a jazz singer..and the other thing is money. Money
does a lot of things, I love money, being in that groove in the hobby thing,
(points at Don Vickery's cameras), I know what it costs to do that. But you
can't let that poison your incentive.

J. Well, the one thing that shines through in the past hour or so, you know,
Oscar, is the love is still there. The love that keeps the music going.

O. Oh listen, that's the way it is. Going to be until they put me down
under. You know, I love music, and I love jazz. I don't know about concepts
and how many albums did you sell and so on. It doesn't mean anything to me.
. I just want to know that I know people who can play in a manner that makes
me react. That's all I care about. The rest of it I don't care about. Say
what they want, do what they want.

My own explanation of jazz, when they ask me, "What is it", they ask me and
I say "it's instant composition." That is the only thing I can say that puts
it in their lingo. That's the way I look at it. Classical music you're
playing to a certain written format, as you know, but jazz, somebody plays a
chord and some tune behind you and you have to do something with that -
immediately. And that's the name of the game.<<<