[Dixielandjazz] Minstrel shows

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 21:19:01 PST 2003

Bill Oakley:   I'm out on a limb about minstrel shows.  I maintain that they
were not necessarily just blackface shows but that they were entertaining
vandevillian type of shows and the blackface thing came in as a variation on
it.  A black musician friend of mine states that they were strictly blackface
shows.  I can remember seeing minstrel shows in my youth that were not black
face and I saw some that were part of a circus and they were all black.

     So, can you fill my in on this a bit.

   Regards, Jim Beebe