[Dixielandjazz] Re: James Scott

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 26 09:57:56 PST 2003

Dear John,
As you know, I love a challenge.
The only early record of this song I could find was "Has Anyone Seen My Corinne"
recorded in NY for Columbia (A-2663) by Wilber Sweatman on 17 Aug 1918.
I dug out my German Storyville (6.28469) double LP by the Boogie Woogie Boys and
played "Has Anyone Seen Corrinne" by Albert Ammons, taken from Sherman Hotel
broadcasts in Sept-Oct 1939.
A very good song and aurally could have been composed in the late teens.
A great Ammons' rendition too.
Storyville give composer credit to Ammons.
James Scott, the ragtimer (1885-1922), composed 38 rags and songs between 1903
and 1922 as follows:
A Summer Breeze
The Fascinator
On The Pike
Frog Legs Rag
Kansas City Rag
My Girl (from Anaconda)
Grace And Beauty
Great Scott Rag
Valse Venice
The Ragtime 'Betty'
Sunburst Rag
Sweetheart Time
Hilarity Rag
Ophelia Rag
Hearts Longing
The Princess Rag
Quality Rag
Ragtime Oriole
The Suffragette
Climax Rag
Take Me Out To Lakeside
Evergreen Rag
Honeymoon Ra
Prosperity Rag
Efficiency Rag
Paramount Rag
Dixie Dimples
Rag Sentimental
Springtime Of Love
New Era Rag
Peace And Plenty Rag
The Shimmie Shake
Modesty Rag
Pegasus
Don't Jazz Me- Rag (I'm Music)
Victory Rag
Broadway Rag
Nothing there about 'Corinne/Corrinne'.
Looks like a job for our 'Angel', Audrey Van Dyke.
And find someone with the Sweatman 78.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: What CD do you have it on?