[Dixielandjazz] Son of rant on the unamplified rhythm section

Will Connelly willc at nova.edu
Sat Jan 25 10:18:58 PST 2003

Russ Guarino wrote:

> Don't forget, basses come in various sizes.  I don't know the correct name
> for the big full upright bass, but it is a big guy and it can produce a big
> sound.  The smaller basses used today need to be amped.  They have small
> "lungs".

I've heard the big, full sized basses called "symphony" basses and
smaller
ones "seven eighths" and "three quarter" basses, but I can't offer
dimensions.
I think the overwhelming majority of basses used in jazz work are the
7/9ths
and 3/4 versions . . .   especially since the advent of the compact car!

Full or fractional, all good basses have sufficient lungs" unamped for a
well
balanced (e.g., drummer about two blocks away) band.

Kindly

Will Connelly