[Dixielandjazz] Eldridge and women - was rules - was chords& melody

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 24 13:16:53 PST 2003

"Goggin, Brian (Dublin)" wrote: (about Eldridge)

> Deadly!
>
> He was some bit of stuff allright.
>
> Have you read Chilton's biography?

No, I have not. But I guess I should. I remember him fairly well. One of the
best, and certainly one of the most competitive trumpet players around in my
youth. He loved cutting sessions, but was usually forced to go last because no
one wanted to follow him, if you know what I mean. He could cut them all, mano
a mano.

Used to love to be at those NYC loft jam sessions with him, Johnny Windhurst,
Jack Fine, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Shavers and others players, Pee Wee
Russell, et al. A fantastic scene that has disappeared almost without a trace
and will likely never reappear again.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone