[Dixielandjazz] stride vs. comp

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Jan 24 11:13:57 PST 2003

>>>Krupas `Wire Brush Stomp`, which I had on a `78` in the distant past,
shows
what can be done with brushes on a fast tune.<<<

About two years ago, I saw Tony Bennett do a live concert.  Ralph Sharon was
still with him.  There was also a young African-American fellow playing
drums. Out in front of the drum set, there was a snare drum on a stand set a
little higher than normal.  About mid-way through the concert the youngster
steps out from behind the drums with brushes in hand, and walks out to the
snare drum.
   What followed was the most outstanding, dazzling display of brush work I
have ever seen or heard.  And I can't remember the fellows name!
Old-timer's disease, I guess.
   Pat Cooke

> << How about nice whacking percussive brushes a la the 1934-1935 Teddy
Wilson