[Dixielandjazz] drumming was stride vs. comp

John Petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 24 16:10:19 PST 2003

Pat said
> Hi, surely this is mainly horses for courses. Playing (occasionally) with
both
> a `trad` band and a larger band playing mainly `swing` type standards I
find
> that the hi hat is great with latter but the places where a hi hat
`fits`just
> do not occur so often with the `trad set up.

There are some good examples of New Orleans Drummers using the Hi-hat,
listen to the Ory band in the early 40s.

Brian said
>Some of us, myself included, do not like the monotony of a hi-hat being
used
>to keep the beat, it always seems like a cop-out to me.   However I
>appreciate I am probably in the minority on this.

It usually is a cop out, as is the ride cymbal used to excess. I certainly
agree with you.
The snare press roll is not just suited to Trad bands. Most of the drumming
on the Goodman Orch sides with Krupa is on the drum, Hi-hat is used
sometimes for colour and very rarely the ride cymbal. Incidentally, the
earliest use of the ride cymbal I have found is on the Red Nichols 5 Pennies
recording of China Boy from 1930 and on the Hoagy ,Bessie Couldn't Help it
from the same period. Its Krupa again.
It depends who is playing the ride and where they place the beat. Many
European drummers get the emphasis wrong and many play a straight 4 on the
cymbal or Hi-hat, which to me does not swing. The "ten ten to ten" beat
executed correctly swings like crazy. With a good off beat rim shot on the
snare, this can be a very effective ride out.

Whacking brushes are great also ala Cosy Cole on the Wilson dates.
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ